08 January, 2009

My Experience in Tunisia (1)


Tunisia.

It’s a short flight between England and Tunisia: only about 3 and half hours. When we landed in Tunisia, north of Africa, my first impression was of quiet atmospheres and dry and chilly air when I walked out from the cabin.

There was no air-bridge to connect the cabin and the airport gate, just a bus to transfer me and I was told to make my own way to the immigrant check-in desk inside the Tunisian Airport. I waited behind a long queue, and luckily I was offered to queue behind a new open check-in desk after they requested more staff to help the checking and I went through straightaway. After I collected my luggage, while I was amazed the fast track service, another checking was ahead. I have to admit that the attention of security level is high in this country and is far better than in Egypt.

On the shuttle bus between the airport and the hotel, I mixed with lots of other travellers but they were staying in the different hotels or resorts to mine. Due to it being Christmas week, the bus was full: it seemed everyone just wanted to get away from the “cold” weather and come for the winter sun. For me, I just fancy a quiet holiday away from work and busy shoppers, especially at Christmas.

On the way, after we set off from the airport, a strange thing happened. There were a few young teens on the street and they threw rocks toward our bus, which hit the window just like gun shots and left a few marks on it. I thought the window was going to break and fall apart, but it didn’t although it was a huge shock to all of us. With this in mind, I realised that it may be secure in the airport but it doesn’t mean it will be on the street. I still have no clue why on earth these teens attacked our bus and I was annoyed.

Finally I arrived at the hotel and unpacked everything, I felt exhausted and tired and ready for bed as it was almost 2.30 am.

No comments: