19 August, 2009

Camping with friends in the Lake District: Northern England


I specially took a half day off for camping last Friday. We decided to set off at 3ish so I dashed back from work and started packing: food, drink and of course camping equipment.

My husband said he needed a pillow. “I have to have shower gel,” I said to myself, munching on some crisps (no time for lunch!)



The weather was not looking good, and on Thursday night I rang the friends who we were going with. I explained that we might not come depending on the weather, because they were going to bring food for us, and I didn’t want them to take too much.

We checked the weather forecast every day, which was quite useless as it changed almost every hour. We hesitated: should we go or should we not? There was a little voice in my head fighting for my laziness and freedom, but we finally went.

We met our friends at the campsite, and enjoyed nice food during a heavy downpour and gusting winds.

I finally went to bed and slept at 2330 but got up at 0600 when the sky was bright but cloudy. Later on/After breakfast I went to Beatrix Potter’s house, which is now a museum: a very nice cosy cottage with gardens and a stable.

Unfortunately the weather went bad again just when we were exploring the cottage, and the heavy downpour wet me through. I quickly finished the visiting, jumped back into the car and drove to the campsite. A wet but pleasant weekend!

No comments: