23 January, 2009

Its My Turn











































For most of my friends, they know I don’t enjoying cooking but I like to make dumplings. It happens when is in a special occasion, for instance food fest, birthday or small party.

It was a food fest with friends a weekend just after the New Year. The menu was my dumplings (Chinese style) as a starter and then followed with two main courses massala fish (Indian style) and sausages with mash potato (English style), of course and dessert.

In fact, dumpling is not difficult to make but a few hours are needed from preparing and be patience when go through the procedures while making it. I remember when I was little, mum always grabbed me to sit next to her and made dumplings. I hesitated for a few minutes and was going to play out with neighbours at that time but I stayed, watched her and did the copy cat.

In the early evening before the food fest, I started putting the filling (meat, sea food or veggies) in the middle of the pastry, and folded the pastry up in half which just covered the whole filling, I made 60 dumplings that evening for friends and by the time we started, it went just like flicked the fingers – was quick. There is a technique in order to seal the dumpling well and looks nice and is something I feel proud of myself that I had a full training with my mum.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a lovely story Nic - makes me wish my mum had taught me to do a lot more. The one thing she did show me was how to make good, proper gravy, just from the meat thickened with flour, and stock from the veggies (not out of a Bisto tub, like I make it nowadays!).
I bet your dumplings disappeared as quick as you made them!
love
Ali
xxx

Anonymous said...

Secret gravy tip. Liquidise a rasher of smoked bacon into the stock.